Yellow Iris

"Yellow Iris"
6" x 6"
oil on gessobord
sold
After experimenting with watercolor last time I decided to paint the same flower with oils today. My goal was to create a high key painting with yellow as a dominant color. I achieved it by changing the background dark value of the previous version to a middle value.

For some reason my watercolor painting is more realistic, more "pretty". I think I focus more on details when I paint with watercolors.

I used a photograph I had taken at an iris festival this year. I finally convinced myself that it was ok to use pictures. I think if I use them as an artist, which means thinking about what my color and value dominance is and what composition I want to create, therefore changing them the way I want. I try not to copy a photograph, I interpret it.
 
Post a Comment

Popular Posts