Monday, April 29, 2013

Power of Social Media

"Thrift Store Bottles"
10"x 8"
oil on canvas panel

I was thinking how wonderful that we live in the Internet era, and can connect to each other via different social networking services. I live in a small town where it is very hard to find someone who loves to paint from life. I felt quite isolated here. I was going plein air painting by myself for a while , but soon noticed that it is hard to stay motivated.

A couple of months ago I started looking for different options around and found a website where artists can post their paintings and get feedback and also sell their artwork. And despite my low confidence in my work and lack of experience (I've been painting only for a couple of years)  I joined it and can tell how great it has been finding people around the world with the same passion in painting.

One day I saw a post on Facebook of an artist announcing a new workshop in Eugene. It is about two hour drive from where I live. I didn't care about the distance. I wanted to meet people who love painting and learn from them. So I did. I am sure that nothing is better than painting with other artists and feel this great creative vibe in the room. I became a much happier painter that way... 
Post a Comment